Friday 25 October 2013

Idioms Idioms Idioms... Can you guess what these idioms mean?

1. To know someone or something like the back of your hand.

2. To learn something by heart.

3. To go in one ear and out the other.

4. To have something on the tip of your tongue.

5. To pull somebody' s leg.


Answers

1. If you know someone or something like the back of your hand, you know it very well.

2. To learn something by heart means to memorise it.

3. If something goes in one ear and out the other, you listen to it but you really don´t pay any attention to it.

4. If you have something on the tip of your tongue, you can´t really remember it and you are just about to say it but the words just don´t come to mind.

5. To pull somebody´s leg means to joke or to be kidding.

Example sentences

1. "I don´t really need to study for the exam. I know the lesson like the back of my hand."

2. "When I was at school there were several things we had to learn by heart, like the names of the planets and the multiplication table."

3. "He did tell me when he was coming to town but I didn´t really pay attention, sorry. It went in one ear and out the other."

4. "I wanted to say hi but I just couldn´t remember her name. And the worst part of it is that I had it on the tip of my tongue..."

5. "What? You won the lottery? I don´t believe you. You are pulling my leg, aren´t you?."



Would you like to learn more idioms? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment