Tuesday 5 March 2019

Bad Restaurant Review

Hello everybody. I received this "Bad Restaurant Review" from Alberto, who is studying for the Oficial School of Languages C2 English exam in Spain. I have posted his writing with some feedback in red. In general I think there are some positive points in his document like organising the text into paragraphs and addressing different aspects (location, service, quality of food,...) but some improvement needs to be done: the vocabulary is from B2/C1, not C2 and the style is rather informal and aggressive.



Bad restaurant review.

Resultado de imagen de bad restaurant

Yesterday I had the unpleasant experience of attending to one of the most overrated restaurants on the coast of Valencia. The name Its name, should you know, is “Els pins” and it is located on a kind of waste land which they have the audacity to call landscape. (In my opinion a little too aggressive. Check if  the use of "attend to" is correct).

Once inside, you are greeted with the most distasteful furniture. The tables and chairs are simply dreadful and as for the table cloths there is only one thing to be said and is that they are made of paper. There is no doubt that in this establishment, functionality is more important than any kind of style. (Once again a little too harsh, which makes it sound childish/unprofessional to me, like written by an angry teenager)

The service is the sort one that one would expect form a fast food chain, but without its speed and simplicity. The waitresses (all females) were more concerned about how they looked rather than who to look. It seemed like a competition and the one to take the longest time attending a table was the winner. ("who to look" not clear what you mean)

After having endured all this nonsense, the thought of enjoying a good meal seemed to me impossible, this is when things turned really interesting. We ordered the infamous dish paella, we thought, what can go wrong? after all, we are in Valencia birth place of rice dishes in Spain. What it was presented to us was an unrecognisable mash of what seemed to be a mixture of rice vegetables and a lonely chicken breast. At this point I had to convince myself into trying it. You know when they say, trust your first instincts. Well, I should have followed that advice. The moment I put the spoon into my mouth it felt like an explosion. It was as spicy as a Tabasco soup. (Even thought it is a negative review, you could try softening it and making it more respectful. Also, the use of "you know" and the use of questions, make it very informal, and I don't know if this is a good idea).

At this time, I had enough of this torture and asked for the check. To my surprise the previously deceptive waitresses came alive and rushed with the check as if their life depended on it.  I won´t comment on the price because whoever pays to be taken for a fool deserves to be one. Never again will I lay eyes on this sorry excuse of a restaurant. It is banned from my list and so it should be from anyone´s.
363 words.


No comments:

Post a Comment