Wednesday 5 April 2017

CPE preparation. Writing and feedback

LETTER

You recently attended a training course which was exceptionally good. Now you have decided to write a letter directly to the course leader. Say why the course was exceptional, why it was particularly suitable for you and how you are benefiting from it now. Write your letter.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently attended one of your highly-regarded courses on Philosophy in the city of Madrid, Spain, and, honestly, I could not be any happier with the results. In the beginning I was not quite sure whether this would even work, as I had previously attended a couple of similar courses which had all been rather disappointing; however, the moment I started working on the material that we were given, it became clear to me that I had found the right place. (Feedback: Maybe just go straight to the point and say in the first line: I am writing to express my satisfaction with.../)

Much to my surprise, each and every teacher turned out to be a very knowledgeable and highly-regarded college professor. In my opinion, this played a decisive role in my studying, as I knew I could rely heavily on them for whatever I needed, especially my dissertation, which I have been writing for over four months now. (Feedback: "Much to my surprise..." Are you saying you expected the teachers to be bad? May sound a bit rude)

They made sure to provide us with an overwhelmingly wide range of topics to study – we even went over branches of Philosophy that I had barely even heard of back when I was in college. Truth be told, I was completely taken aback by the quality of your course and I would recommend that any Philosophy undergraduate give it a go, as it will give them some incredibly useful insight into the very depths of Philosophy.

Now that I have finished the course, I feel completely prepared to write the last part of my dissertation – arguably, the most difficult one. That is why I wanted to express my gratitude in a more thoughtful way – although I still believe words are not enough to convey how grateful I am. Keep up the good work! (This and some other expressions in the letter seem too informal/ too friendly)

Yours faithfully,

Nicolás Procopio.

No comments:

Post a Comment