Tuesday 3 July 2018

CPE 2018 Letter to the editor Sample and feedback

Hi Gustavo,

Hope you are doing well. I am taking my CPE exam this July, soI would be very grateful if you could review the writing that I attach to this email.

It is a letter to an editor (part 2 of the test), that should address the following points:

1) it should be about the topic of friendship;
2) it should mention a friendship that is special for me;
3) it should contain my opinion on the difficulties in mantaining frienships through time and changing circumstances.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Ingrid.

Feedback in red

Dear Editor,

I am writing in reply to the article about friendship that was featured in the last issue of your magazine and to which readers were invited to respond presenting their views on the topic. Therefore, I would like to share some of my thoughts on this subject with the magazine’s your readers.


It is often said that friends are the family you choose for yourself, for true friends remain by your side and unconditionally support you no matter what decisions you make. As for me, I could not agree more with that statement. Thus, I see my life-long friends, with whom I have a very special friendship, as family. Hence, like my relatives, the friends who I have known since I was a kid, are a fundamental pillar in my life. (Would be nice to have some examples or anecdotes)

Some people argue that friendships are subject to many changes over time, as childhood friendships have little to do with teenage ones and even lesser with the ones had during adult life, and that such changes may threaten the continuity of a relationship. However, it is important to remember that real friends stand by each other and strive to overcome the obstacles that they might face. (An example maybe?)

Of course, as time goes by, it may become more difficult to stay in touch with friends, either because some of them might be living live abroad, or because a large portion of their time is now dedicated to their demanding jobs. Perhaps, some circumstances have changed, and there are ones that have their own families and do not have much time for meeting up. It is true that there is a handful of events that may end up distancing friends or changing their relationship. Nonetheless, it is also true that friends are the ones willing to remain in each other’s life, even with all these adverse facts. (facts?)

The bottom line is that personal relationships are never easy, and friendship in not an exception to that, but they are also very valuable and worth fighting for. After all, some friends are like family, and external factors should not stand in the way.

Yours faithfully,
Ingrid (Lastname)


Feedback: I would appreciate if you incorporate some examples, stories or anecdotes to make it less abstract. After all, it is not an essay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment