Monday 25 February 2019

CAE Letter to a friend

Hallo everybody, this time I have a post from Clemente, who is taking the CAE exam next month. I find his sample very well-written and an excellent example of an effective use of idioms in informal writing. 


Writing task


You have received a letter from an English friend:

My new job is great, and next month I get to travel on business. Guess what - I'm actually coming to your town for a week! I'll be free some evenings and one weekend. I want to make the most of this opportunity, so I'd like your advice please: where to go, what to do, and why?
Cheers,
Chris

Write your letter in reply. You do not need to include postal addresses.
"""

Feedback in red



Dear Chris

It's so nice to hear from you! Congrats on the new opportunity that you have to travel on business. You know, the moment I read you were coming to my town, I went like "OMG, that's brilliant!". I'm chuffed to bits, truly! I hope we can get to spend some time together to catch up and chew the fat.

Anyway, while you are here, you can't miss Areadocks; I'm sure you will have a ball there. Areadocks is a really fancy pub right in the centre of the city, where everybody is always dressed to kill and the food is absolutely scrumptious! I mean, you're a foodie and always very elegantly dressed, so this is your place, man. You must give Areadocks a go!

Also, you may want to check out the big bookshop near the main theatre of the city. For a bookworm like you, Libraccio is unmissable. I bet you'll feel like in a fairy tale when you enter Libraccio. You're going to find tons of books - both new and second-hand - which are not very expensive. The staff there is incredibly friendly and competent. I mean, ok, if you work in a bookshop you should know about books, right? But mate, the people who work there are not human! The second you tell them you're looking for this or that title, they start giving you loads of facts on the book, the author, the plot, the characters, AND the publishing house, too! UNBELIEVABLE! (Consider checking if ""unmissable" works well there)

All right, I guess that's all for now. Please do let me know when you arrive here so we can meet up somewhere.
Looking forward to seeing you, mate!

Take care,
Clemente

(279 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment