Friday, 23 May 2014
HOW TO WRITE A REPORT FOR CAE/ CPE
A report is a formal document you write to a figure of authority to describe an experience such as attending a conference or taking part in a project. Therefore it is expected to be a rather formal text, well-organised into sections and with proper language.
1. The organisation of a Report
A report should have a title and subtitles (or subheadings) and be divided into clear sections. There is usually an introduction and a conclusion. Click here to see example.
2. Useful language / Phrases to use in a Report.
In the introduction
- The aim of this report is to...
- The purpose of this report is to outline...
- This report will also provide some recommendations on...
In the conclusion
- I strongly recommend...ing
- It would be highly advisable to...
- I would no doubt suggest...ing
- I also believe we should...
3. The use of formal language in a Report
Avoid using contractions in reports as they are too informal. Write "I would like to recommend..." instead of "
I´d like to recommend..."
Another thing to avoid is using idioms and phrasal verbs as they tend to be spoken and informal.